Monday, March 14, 2011

Protective Cornrow Style

This Friday I went to town getting out all the twists and beads Bre's mother put in the bottom section of her hair.  I had a few twists where when I put slight pressure on the ends of the braids, the ends broke off along with the last bead.  I will be trimming Bre's hair within a month.  Here are all the beads that came out of the back half of her head:


I wasn't planning on washing Bre's hair but it had residue from the grease her mom used so I washed her hair with just for me shampoo and deep conditioned her hair while she played in the tub.  While the deep conditioner was still in her hair I detangled and sectioned the back into 3 parts and clipped down.  When I rinsed the deep conditioner out I took out one section, rinsed, and clipped it back moving on to the next section.  This keeps the hair detangled until styling.


I did 10 straight cornrows down the back and no beads.  Before I braided a rubbed a good amount of extra virgin coconut oil into her hair.  I ended with these small fabric covered ouchless hair bands I got at Meijers.  Above of the ouchless bands I put small loose rubber bands because I wasn't sure how well the ouchless fabric covered ones will hold with no sleep cap on.


The cornrow style I put at the top of her head held up nicely.  Putting two rubber bands around the ribbons held the ribbons in her hair although they were drooping a bit when I saw them.  The ABC clips did come out and the 2 cornrow bangs I gave her are a little puffy, but I expected that since I did them loosely.


I used the following products in the morning to moisturize:


This was my first time using the Talih Waajid mist bodifier.  I got it because it was so thick and yet still a spray, but I'm contemplating on watering it down a bit so it soaks into the braids.  Next week I will see what condition her hair is in and water it down if I need to.  I also used an olive oil "growth serum" in between her cornrows.  I got this a while back when I actually believed attaching the words growth serum to a bottle of olive oil was better than regular oil olive.  I'm really just trying to used it up and will  most likely put melted extra virgin coconut oil in a bottle and rub that between her cornrows once I use up this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment