Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cornrowed Headband and Curls

Bre got a new style yesterday!  I was pretty hyped about this style because it worked with her shorter hair.  It did look real cute.  Here was the end result:


We started by washing her hair.  She LOVES getting her hair washed and sitting in the tub and playing tea party with her bath toys.  We washed her hair with Shea Moisture shampoo and deep conditioned it with Shea Moisture Hair Masque.  We did a quick deep condition which for us means to put it on her hair, let it sit for 5 minutes while we detangle, and run water over her hair to get out the excess conditioner.  There is still a little product in her hair, but we leave that in.


We then divided her hair into two sections a front half and a back half.  Make sure the front section is a bit thicker than normal and clip down the back half.  Next you need to split the front section in half again so you have two equal parts.  Which each section I added hair lotion and coconut oil.  The first 1/4 of the hair by the forehead needs to be cornrowed back.  The 2nd 1/4 needs to be cornrowed to the front.  Braid until you reach the ends.


I thought it would fun to add some pink yarn as an extension to the large braided headband.  I took two strands, an arms length long, folded them over and added them to the two tiny braids by her ear.  I did a cornrow by adding the ends of the small cornrows to the large braid.  I struggled halfway through because the pink yarn was getting trapped between all the braids.  I secured the ends with an elastic and cut off any access yarn.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to clip a little flower to the end or not

Next I did a roller set on the back half of her hair.  She really likes curls and loose hair more than cornrows so I thought I'd appease her this one time.  I moisturized her hair by adding hair lotion.  I took a piece of hair a little shorter than the length of the small satan covered curlers I used and put coconut oil on the strand and rolled it around the roller.  I started from the top and moved down doing the same thing to each section.


Once I was done I spritzed the rollers with water, put on a loose sleeping cap and let them sit overnight.  In the morning I took out the rollers.  Her hair felt wonderful when the rollers came out because all of the coconut oil we used still hadn't soaked in all the way.


As you can see her roots were not taught and thus did not curl.  I finger combed through the curls separated them and sprayed them with hairspray.


The picture doesn't do it justice.  They actually did not look frizzy at all until a half and hour later when it started raining....  sigh.  She decided instead of helping to pack lunches at Kid's Church she was going to ride with me in the bus and be my runner to get kids from there houses.  Her coat didn't have a hood.  Now she's got these grandma looking curls in the back of her hair.

I like the front but I'm sure the back of her hair will be going into a ponytail tomorrow until I get the chance to braid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment