Saturday, April 23, 2011

Beads and Racism.

One of my girls is getting a special style tomorrow.  She wanted to get some glow in the dark beads and a regular AA hair store doesn't sell them we have to go to Hobby Lobby to get them.  We went in a Hobby Lobby, got beads and laces so the girls could make keychains and checked out.  When we tried to walk out the alarm went off.
Nobody came for a bit so I told my girls to just keep walking and then a lady came over by us and rudely ushered us back in the store.  She not only looked at out receipt, but went through the bag taking each item out.  Then she made me dump my purse out over the counter and the kids had to flip their pockets inside out.  Then when they still did not find anything they made us go through the scanner one at a time.  When the alarm didn't go off they handed us back our stuff and we walked in silence to the car.  My youngest girl says when we start driving away that she never wants to go back there and that they didn't like black people.
Being white I've never experienced this before.  It was infuriating the way a Christian store full of white people can treat someone who is black, even kids when the alarm goes off.  All they saw was black faces and dirty school uniform clothes.
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment