Monday, August 15, 2011

Failed Mini Braids

I really liked the look of all the mini braid pictures post online and even though I knew I was working with transitioning hair I had to try it on Bre.  So we spent the afternoon braiding her hair up and had a total of 150 braids approximately.  I curled the ends (and half the braid) to get the braids to not unravel.


They look fairly decent right?  These pictures were taken a few hours prior to her jumping in the neighbors kiddie pool and dunking her head in.



So the curls all came out but they still looked cute and she wanted them longer.  I was a little worried about having them unravel but I figured I wouldn't worry about it and put half of the braids into pigtails.

We go to camp for a week.  It was her first time and she loved every minute of it.  It's a Christian sports camp for inner city youth.  She told me she was going to pick cheerleading as her sport.  Last minute I found out she choose swimming.  So 2 or 3 times a day I could find her in the pool.  Her hair had unraveled (especially in the front) so much I quickly cornrowed the mini braids up into a ponytail.



I know the picture is hard to see.  This is how I had her wearing her hair the rest of the time.  When we got on the bus to go home I took out the first two rows of mostly unraveled braids and added 2 cornrows and a side ponytail.  Not much of a style but she liked it.

Long story short; Mini braids without rubber bands do not work well on relaxed hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment